There is no cure for Alzheimer’s disease. It is impossible to reverse the effects that Alzheimer’s has on those who suffer from it. The best that any doctor can hope for in the immediate future is to slow down the effects that it is having on the patient and its progress in deteriorating the brain. There has been much advancement which has been able to help with Alzheimer’s treatments. Knowing these will help you to know what to look for whenever talking with the doctor.
Common Drugs Used
These drugs have been identified as some of the best ways in which Alzheimer’s can be combated:
- Antioxidants – Such things as vitamin E and other antioxidants have been identified to help in generating new cells and also help in removing many of the cancerous cells which have been attacking the body. While these will not correct the problem, it will help in removing any of the cells which will make the condition worse.
- Cognex (tacrine) – This is an oral medication which is given to patients in order to improve their ability to think clearly. It helps by inhibiting the enzyme acetylcholinestrerase.
- Aricept (donepezil) – This will also help in inhibiting acetylcholinestrerase. The reason why this is important is because it is thought to be part of what helps in breaking down the brain cells which are linked to cognitive functions.
- Ginkgo Biloba – Identified as having a link between those who take it and proper brain function, this herbal remedy will help in making sure that you will be able to have higher brain function than normal. For those who have a history on the family for dealing with Alzheimer’s, this will help you to think better.
- Estrogen – This is a way in which many women will be able to get the help that they will need in order to combat the problem of Alzheimer’s. It is a way in which they will be able to provide their body more of what it needs in order to act as a younger body. This includes generating new brain cells.